Pregnancy can be a joyful time for a couple. It can also come with some physically uncomfortable symptoms that moms-to-be have to endure. Pregnancy acupuncture can ease some of the symptoms to make you more comfortable and reduce pain.
- Nausea & vomiting: Many women experience nausea and vomiting during their pregnancy. This is caused by the fluctuations of hormones that occur in early pregnancy (approximately 6-16 weeks). My patients in Edmonton appreciate that acupuncture can offer them some relief.
- Fatigue and headaches: In order for your body to produce the placenta to support the baby, your metabolism will increase, while your blood sugar and blood pressure stay the same. This results in the feeling of fatigue that most women experience in the first trimester of pregnancy. The headaches you experience are probably caused by the increased hormones and blood circulation in your body. My clients in Edmonton say that acupuncture dramatically improves their fatigue and reduces their headaches.
- Heartburn/acid reflux: Later in your pregnancy you may experience heartburn on a regular basis. This is because the hormone progesterone is increasing in your body and relaxes the muscles of the uterus-and also the valve between the stomach and the esophagus-allowing acid up into your esophagus. Acid reflux is also caused by the growing baby causing your stomach acids to back up into your esophagus.
- Hemorrhoids and constipation: Hemorrhoids are uncomfortable, and unfortunately they are common during pregnancy. This is because your growing baby puts pressure on the veins of the large intestine. Constipation is caused by the reduced activity of your bowels and the iron in your prenatal vitamins may not be helping this problem either! A quick appointment for acupuncture in my Edmonton office can ease constipation and in turn the discomfort of hemorrhoids.
- Stress, sleeping problems, and elevated blood pressure: You may feel very stressed and have trouble sleeping during your pregnancy. This can be caused by the preparations for becoming a parent and the overwhelming feelings this can cause. Acupuncture has helped my Edmonton clients to reduce anxiety and stress. This in turn can lead to better sleep quality and lowered blood pressure.
- Musculoskeletal pain in pregnancy (sciatica, hip, joint, and back pain): It’s a reality that you will gain weight during pregnancy. This puts extra stress on your body. Also, your hormones will begin to loosen your hips and pelvis in preparation for birth. This can cause some women to have pain in their hips, back, and sciatic areas.
- Position of breech babies: Later in your pregnancy, your baby needs to turn and have it’s head placed downward into your pelvis. This is the way that babies need to be positioned to be born. If your baby doesn’t show signs of turning and keeps its head upwards, this is called breech. Undergoing sessions of moxibustion and acupuncture in my Edmonton office can encourage the baby to become positioned correctly.
- Preparing the body for labor and delivery: Acupuncture sessions that are performed during the last few weeks of pregnancy can be very helpful in preparing the body for the task of labor and delivery of your baby. It can help reduce anxiety around the birthing process, ripen the cervix, and help you have more energy to get you through the labor and delivery.
- Induction for delayed labor: Acupuncture has been shown to help induce and shorten the length of labor. There is also an impressive correlation between women who receive pregnancy acupuncture in our Edmonton office and their ability to deliver their baby safe and healthy with limited medical interventions such as epidurals or c-sections.
Many clients in Edmonton ask if acupuncture is safe during pregnancy, it definitely is! It carries no more risk for pregnant women if the acupuncturist is properly trained and avoids certain points on your body.
As an Edmonton pregnancy acupuncturist, an appointment with me can assist you in having a healthy pregnancy that runs smoothly. Seeing me early in your first trimester can help to alleviate a lot of your discomfort from adjusting to pregnancy. Acupuncture can even help to prevent miscarriages in women who have had them in the past. Please contact me today if you are experiencing any unpleasant symptoms and you need relief.