- Increasing sperm counts – Sperm quality increased in males with subfertility related to low sperm count after acupuncture treatments. Sixteen subfertile patients were analyzed one month before and one month after acupuncture treatments, performed at a frequency of twice a week for five weeks. Significant improvement of total functional sperm, percentage of viability and total motility was found. This suggests that men with reduced sperm activity may benefit from acupuncture treatment. 1
- Increasing sperm motility – Sperm motility is a huge factor in getting pregnant. Sperm need to be able to move quickly to survive the environment of the uterus and reach the mature egg in the fallopian tubes
- Improving sperm quality – A study published in Fertility and Sterility measured 28 men with low sperm count, poor motility and poor morphology who received acupuncture twice a week over the course of 5 weeks. Statistical evaluation of the data showed a significant increase in normal sperm morphology and total motility in the acupuncture group compared to men in the control group who did not receive acupuncture treatments. With the conclusion that, in conjunction with ART for reaching natural fertility potential, acupuncture treatments are a simple, non-invasive method of improving sperm quality. 2
- Increasing blood flow to the reproductive organs – Increased blood flow to the male reproductive organs makes this area function more effectively.
- Reducing the stress of trying to conceive – Acupuncture can help to release neurotransmitters that help reduce the anxiety and stress of dealing with fertility issues. Stress hormones can adversely affect how our bodies function and impact the chances of conceiving.
To learn more about male factor fertility issues, please click here.
1 Siterman S, Eltes F, Wolfson W, Zabludovsky N, Bartoov B. Effect of acupuncture on sperm parameters of males suffering from subfertility related to low sperm quality. Arch Androl 1997;39:155-61.
2 Jian Pei, Erwin Strehler, Ulrich Noss, Markus Abt, Paola Piomboni, Baccio Baccetti, Karl Sterzik. Quantitative evaluation of spermatozoa ultrastructure after acupuncture treatment for idiopathic male infertility. Fertility and Sterility, Vol. 84, Issue 1, p141–147 Published in issue: July 2005 Retrieved from http://www.fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(05)00591-1/pdf